Travelling by Air
- The nearest international airport to Niigata is Tokyo/Narita
Airport(NRT). This has direct flights to worldwide destinations.
- Niigata Airport(KIJ) is located east of the central part of Niigata.
This is a smaller provincial airport, but has limited international
flights including a daily flight to Seoul/Incheon Airport(ICN) in
Korea and regular domestic flights to Osaka/Itami(ITM), Nagoya/Chubu
Centair(NGO), Nagoya/Komaki(NKM), Sapporo(CTS), Kobe(UKB),
Fukuoka(FUK) and Okinawa(OKA).
Note that there are no flights to
Tokyo/Narita(NRT), Tokyo/Haneda(HND) and Osaka/Kansai(KIX).
- The most convenient route from abroad is to take a flight to
Tokyo/Narita(NRT) and go to Niigata by train (see the section
`From Tokyo/Narita Airport to Niigata' below).
- You can also fly to Niigata Airport via Nagoya/Chubu(NGO) or
Seoul/Incheon(ICN), if you can find a good connection.
- It takes 25 minutes by taxi from Niigata Airport to Niigata
Prefectural Civic Center. Please ask a taxi driver
"To Niigata Kenmin-Kaikan". It costs approximately ¥3500.
The cheapest way to get from Niigata Airport to Niigata Prefectural
Civic Center is to take airport bus services bound for Niigata Railway
Station operating in connection with flights, transfer
another bus (No. 7 or 7A) at `Bandai City Center' and get off at
`Kyogijo-Mae (Niigata City Sports Park)'. You should walk
across the street to transfer the bus at Bandai City Center
(See the map around JR Niigata Station). The
journey takes about 40 minutes (excluding a wait for transfer) and
costs ¥530 (¥350 from Airport to Bandai City Center and
¥180 from Bandai City Center to Kyogijo-Mae).
The bus fare will be raised on 1st December to
¥370 and ¥200, respectively.
From Tokyo/Narita Airport to Niigata
- From Narita Airport to Niigata, take Narita Express of East Japan
Railway (JR East) to Tokyo Station
It takes approximately 60 minutes.
From Tokyo to Niigata, see the next section.
The cost from Narita Airport to Niigata is approximately ¥13000.
From Tokyo to Niigata
- From Tokyo to Niigata, the most convenient way is to take
Joetsu Shinkansen (Superexpress for Niigata) of JR East
It takes approximately 2 hours.
Timetable of Joetsu Shinkansen
- Highway bus services from Ikebukuro in Tokyo to Niigata operate
every one hour from 7:00 am to 8:00 pm as well as an overnight coach.
It takes about 5 hours 30 minutes and costs ¥5250 for a one-way
and ¥9450 for a round-trip (within 10 days). You can get off the
bus at 'Shiyakusho-Mae (City Hall)', which is about 5 minutes walk
from Niigata Prefectural Civic Center.
From JR Niigata Station to Niigata Prefectural Civic
Center (the workshop place)
- From Niigata Station to JR Niigata Prefectural Civic Center, take
bus No. 1 or 7/7A at Bandai-Guchi bus terminal and get off at
`Kyogijo-Mae' ( Bus No. 7/7A) or 'Hakusan Koen Mae (Bus No. 1).
It takes approximately 20 minutes and costs
¥180. Niigata Prefectural Civic Center is a 3 minutes walk from
the bus stop.
(The bus fare will be raised on 1st December to
- Another way from Niigata Station is to take a train (JR Echigo
Line) and get off at Hakusan Station. It takes 5 minutes and costs
¥180. Hakusan station is 12 minutes walk away from Niigata
Prefectural Civic Center.
- If you want to walk from a hotel around Niigata Station, please
cross the Bandai Bridge or the Yachiyo Bridge and walk along the
Shinano River. It is about 2.5 or 3km.
It is about 1.5km walk from Hotel Okura at the foot of the Bandai Bridge.
Furumachi, the heart of Niigata City, is just over 1km away from
From other cities to Niigata
- From Kansai area (Osaka or Kyoto), the fastest way is to take a
flights from Osaka/Itami Airport to Niigata Airport.
Several trains via JR Hokuriku Line are also available. There is no direct
train in the daytime from Osaka to Niigata, but you should transfer a
train at Kanazawa (or Toyama).
You can take a direct overnight train or bus from Osaka and Kyoto to
- There are direct fights from Sapporo, Nagoya, Kobe, Fukuoka and Okinawa.
- From Nagoya, Sendai and Kanazawa, highway buses (daytime or
overnight) as well as JR trains are available.